Thursday 19 September 2013

Why are drug related crime rates high in B.C.

I think that drug crimes in B.C. are increasing and have been for the past few years due to many reasons. First of all, I think that there is a generally large availability rate throughout the majority of B.C. because there is many isolated towns that traffic drugs back and forth throughout the province. This leads to another point being that, possibly not all the crime related to drugs in necessarily a result of people actually doing drugs, but other activities suggesting trafficking, possession, dealing etc.In my opinion, I think our society in B.C. is also, not accepting, but not as severe and aware against the drug crimes going on throughout our province. This makes it easier for drugs to be available and hidden among us. I don't mean that the police aren't as severe towards drug crimes as they are towards other types of crime, but it is a lot easier to hide and conceal a drug operation that it is to hide a crime such as a murder or a robbery. Also, I think because in B.C. there are places like Surrey, East Hastings and Kelowna where there are high concentrations of gangs which lead to more drug related, (as well as gang related) crimes in these places. As for now, I think that drug related crimes will stay at an increasing rate because drugs themselves are essentially very popular and in my opinion, are going to stay this way for a while. I think that to decrease drug crimes in B.C. the authorities will have to try and halt as many operations throughout the province and possibly make more severe laws against some of these offenses. But because drug related crimes vary so much and there are so many of them still going on right now, I don't feel like the police will really try to do anything more to stop these increasing rates either than what they are already doing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment